Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Modern-Day Athletes

I apologize in advance for this post because I do not like to do rants, but something I read yesterday called me to action. I know this is not a Rockets-related item, but the attitude I describe seems to pervade all sports these days.

In an interview with Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle, Miguel Tejada said that he was leaning toward not playing in the WBC for his native Dominican Republic team. The Astros shortstop said, “It’s always been really important for me to represent my country. It’s something that I’ve done for a long time. … At the same time, I have to realize that this is the last year in my contract, and I need to work hard because I want to show all the other teams that there’s still a lot left in me."

He wants to work hard because it's his contract year. Not because the Astros are paying him almost $15 million dollars a year, but because this is the last year of his contract and he's worried about not getting another massive deal next year. His income is the equivalent of winning the Texas Lottery every ninety days, for eight months a year of work. Correction - make that 8 months a year of play. I have no problem with his not wanting to play for his country for free. That's his business. What I can't understand is not having the motivation to work hard because he's being paid by the Astros this year to do so. And should I mention that the Astros stood behind Tejada when he pled guilty to lying to congress about his steroid use and when he was caught red-handed lying about his true age?

My kingdom for the days where an athlete performed to the best of his ability because it was the right thing to do. Hell, forget the philosophical approach. How about just doing your best because it's what you agreed to do when you signed the last damned contract?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

Wake up Sports Fans! It's an attitude that is not just raising its head in the sports arena, but in all facets of life. The prevailing attitude about work and accomplishment in general is, "I'll only put out IF I see a short term reward". If one is to play the WIIFM game, best bet is to look at the long haul.... Wake up rookies...