Sunday, October 25, 2009

Prediction Time

It's that time of year again, the time where everyone decides who will prosper and who will falter in the NBA. Hell, I'm not even sure why they play the games. We scribes have it all figured out by now. I guess the owners feel like they have to go ahead and have a season just to make a little money. Here's my take on the final standings:

Eastern Conference Playoffs:
  1. Cleveland
  2. Boston
  3. Orlando
  4. Chicago
  5. Phildelphia
  6. New York
  7. Atlanta
  8. Detroit

Western Conference Playoffs:

  1. Los Angeles
  2. San Antonio
  3. Denver
  4. Dallas
  5. Portland
  6. Golden State
  7. Phoenix
  8. New Orleans

Eastern Conference Champion: Cleveland Cavaliers

Western Conference Champion: Los Angeles Lakers

NBA Champion: Cleveland Cavaliers

Readers may notice that the Rockets are not included in the playoffs. I will offer one proviso on that prognostication. If Tracy McGrady comes back at even 75% of his former self, they will unseat one of the bottom three teams on my list. If that happens, they will lose in the first or second round, depending on the matchup.

One other prediction for the home team. They will have a losing record (barring outstanding play by McGrady), but will score more total points over the course of the entire season than the total points of all their opponents. I say that because I believe that this is a very scrappy team that never gives up and will not suffer many blowout losses. Close games in all their losses and a few big wins will make this prediction come true. The nature of this team is also the reason I am looking forward to the season. I appreciate guts and teamwork, both of which should be abundant on the Houston Rockets.

No comments: