Friday, May 13, 2011

Player reviews (in alphabetical order): Kevin Martin

Early in the season, I posted that if Kevin Martin didn’t get his defensive act together, Courtney Lee deserved a chance to start. I’m not going to claim that Kevin read my blog and responded, but I suspect Kevin read my blog and responded. Martin will never be a defensive giant, but he put forth enough effort in the second half of the season to not be a weak link among Rockets basketball players at that end of the court. Offensively, he was a giant, mostly in terms of efficiency. He may not have led the league in scoring, but he led the league in free throws made (tied with Kevin Durant). Martin is a genius at drawing fouls on offense. He was ninth in scoring in the league and tops among the top 10 scorers in points per shot taken tallying almost 1½ points per shot taken. Kevin Martin is an outstanding shooting guard and, combined with Courtney Lee, the position is solid.

No comments: