Saturday, May 28, 2011

New Coach

Kevin McHale. I participated in an online poll by the Houston Chronicle asking whether or not Kevin McHale was a good choice as the new Rockets coach. By an overwhelming majority of 70% to 30%, the response was negative. I was stunned by both the percentage and the consensus.

When McHale was playing for Boston, I considered him the best power forward in basketball. Even today, he would be on my all-century team. He played smart basketball and made everyone else around him better. He is without question among the five best power forwards of all time.

In Minnesota, he acquitted himself well as a novice coach, certainly well enough to warrant a chance to succeed in Houston. As GM, he failed miserably. But we have to remember that a GM is only as good as the owner lets him be. Yes, he made some bad trades, but losing Kevin Garnett was not his choice. So I say, fine. Refuse to hire him as a GM. But applaud his hiring as a coach.

Is McHale as good as Adelman? No. But Adelman is not available. Les and Daryl made sure of that. McHale is available. And I'm glad they're giving him a shot. Good luck Kevin.

No comments: