Tuesday, April 28, 2009

This blog has a problem.

It lacks hostility. I have two big problems as a blogger. (1) I love the Rockets and don't enjoy disrespecting them and (2) I recognize that there are other great players and teams in the NBA.

(1) When a player has a bad game, I say so and try to analyze what they did wrong and how to correct it. I don't find it necessary to insult a player on a personal level or spew invectives about him. So many blogs feel they have to hate someone to be entertaining. The only thing I hate in sports is a lack of effort. If an athlete is giving everything he has and still comes up short, I'll say he came up short and maybe even that he doesn't have what it takes to be in the league, but I won't abuse him personally. After all, we can't all be Michael Jordan. In fact, I quote Michael Jordan: "I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

(2) Not every Rockets loss is their own fault. It is an easy trap to fall into to say that so-and-so blew the game last night, but the fact is that sometimes the other team just plays really well. Sometimes the opposing coaching staff does their homework and puts together a really good game plan. A true fan appreciates quality play even when it comes from the other team. I do and when I see it, I say so. Sometimes when the Rockets lose, instead of tongue-lashing the home team, I compliment the victors. That seems to be an unpopular stance these days.

I've been around long enough to remember a time when civility was expected in everyday life. You didn't insult someone for fear that you might get punched in the nose - at least. But more importantly, it was a societal norm. Nowadays, Judge Judy calls people names from the bench and every sitcom is based on antagonism. Truthfully, though, I don't remember if it has always been thus in sports. I always loved my sports heroes and they could do no wrong, but I don't know if it was common to blast the 1927 Yankees when they lost the occassional game. In NYC, probably.

The general consensus is that we pay our athletes ridiculous amounts of money, so they should suffer the slings and arrows that come with their outrageous fortunes. We see them as the legitimate recipients of the enmity and helplessness we feel when the boss chews us out or the cop gives us a speeding ticket. But athletes are basically just entertainers, no more or less than a singer or dancer. If we are honest with ourselves, sometimes a great dancer will trip on the scenery and a singer will miss a note. Nobody is perfect and as long as they are trying, I'll admire the excellent performance - regardless of which team provided it - and cut the losers some slack.

By the way, I predict the Rockets will lose tonight's game in Portland. The Blazers are young and hungry.

No comments: